The Rothschild Foundation manage the historic collection of paintings and furniture housed in the state rooms of Spencer House in London.
Spencer House was built between 1756-1766 for John, first Earl Spencer, who is an ancestor of Diana, Princess of Wales. The Spencer family last lived in the House in 1926 and since then it has been let to a variety of tenants.
Lord Rothschild, through his company RIT Capital Partners, secured Spencer House under long lease in the mid 1980s. Lord Rothschild led an extensive restoration project that brought together highly skilled craftsmen to restore the house to its original splendour. It is now one of London’s finest surviving eighteenth century aristocratic residences.
The House is now used partly as offices, an exclusive venue for events, and is open to visitors on Sundays throughout the year. More information can be found on the Spencer House website.